••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••♥••••••••••

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Beary Awesome Summer Trip

For our summer vacay this year, we decided to go deep-outdoor exploring. Look how close we got to these bears:



Ha ha. Seriously, if you know me well, you must have been squirting your milk from your nose.

We actually decided to do a quick trip up to Yellowstone. That pic was taken at Bear World in Rexburg, ID. And I was safely inside of my car to see them.

Bear World was actually a lot of fun. We saw moose, elk, deer, wolves, big bears roaming in between cars, baby cubs penned-up, and even an albino elk.

Once again, all from the safety of our Expedition.

Here are the kiddos showing us their best bear faces:



and right after that pic was taken, Porter turned around and noticed the bear's teeth and let out a very un-manly sort of scream.

Look at my adorabley-wild family:



We feed the rainbow trout, ducks and one huge, ornery swan.
,


The girlies got to pet a little fawn,



and they all three pet a deer (I was even brave enough to stroke her nose for a second. And then I got a bit scared and hid back behind my camera).



They had a few rides (not that great, but it made us adults feel better about the entrance fee),



but there were only two teenage boys operating the five rides, so we had to wait a bit.



For dinner that night, we went to Frontier Pies. I can't tell you how excited I was to see this restaurant listed on the Garmin for local places to eat. I used to love this place and now the only ones they have left are in Idaho.

The food was delicious, and they served our drinks in cool jars. Awesome.

OP and I were determined to have a slice of pie after dinner, but after my cheddar & broccoli soup, salmon, and country potatoes, I was pretty dang full. Orrin couldn't do it either. The kids were still up for dessert (of course) but we said they could have a 60 cent cone at Arctic Circle instead.



Then after a fruitless search for a car charger for our portable DVD player, we went back to the hotel for some chlorine-drenched swimming.



I didn't get many pics of that since I am still a bit jumpy about using my camera in any kind of situation in which dropping it would result in it's imminent ruin.

The next day we ventured into Yellowstone... more on that later!

(I know that you will be waiting with bated breathe, so I will try to get them published on here quickly!)

2 comments:

Team Skousen said...

Oh that looks like so much fun!! I miss the good ol' days of summer vacations. I will live through you and your fam! :)

Whitopher said...

I love the picture with the family in the bear cut outs! Did Porter just love seeing the bears?