••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••♥••••••••••

Thursday, February 14, 2008

V-Day

I decided to take pictures of my kiddies then turn one into a little Valentines Card to email to family. Simple, right? Yeah, sure.

Adi only gives cheesey, fake smiles to the camera, Piper won't hold still, and Porter screams when his sister's touch him while he is enjoying a sucker. Geesh! This was the best photo I could get... I'll take it!

While Porter is napping and the girls are at preschool, I thought I'd take a minute to reminisce. My most favorite Valentines memory had to do with my dad, dumpster diving, and an arrow. What do all these things have in common, you may ask? Well, my dad always got into making V-Day boxes for school. I mean, really got into it. This year (third, fourth grade?), he came up with the idea to make a target with an arrow in it- keep in mind that this was before kids were trying to kill everyone at school, so bringing a sawed-off arrow to school was no biggie. My dad had to first find a big enough piece of cardboard, which we had none of. We started cruising the dumptsers of businesses until we found the perfect piece- a refridgerator box from Granite Furniture I believe.

He then created some kind of easel for it to sit on, and then attached the giant target- it was huge! OK, I was only 8-ish, so my memory could be a little misconstrued, but I don't even know how I got it to school. Anyway, he then cut a slit in the front, just big enough to fit little cards in, and then added the cut arrow.

It was quite the sight. I think that I got the most compliments on it during my class party, but a problem presented itself after the party: the other kids were taking the lids off of their simple shoe box valentines to get their candy and cards, but I couldn't get to mine! My dad had forgotten (or perhaps on purpose) to include a little trap door. I was devasted! I had to wait until I got the behemoth home to enjoy my goodies!

I wish I had a picture... you made a memory Dad!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your kiddos are so adorable! I think the picture is perfect!

Nae said...

I remember it be very large as well but I was only about what 29?
Honey should you really be telling people we were dumpster diving. Well at least let them know it was you Dad doing it , I was at work.

Nae said...

My sweet grandbabies are so cute I want them here now with me. Or I want to be with them there now together.
Nana

RissaB said...

That is a cute pic... Oh and i finished the 100 things

Whitopher said...

They are so, so cute!